Organization and Leadership Track
Join Signify’s global head of Talent and OD for an insightful case study on HR and Organization Transformation.
Why this topic?
Changing competitive landscape:
The lighting industry is undergoing a rapid transformation and has shifted from Lamps and CFLIs to more energy efficient and cost effective LEDs. The lighting industry is constantly evolving towards more digital and connected lighting.
New name and identity:
In 2014 Philips announced its intent to divest the lighting business. This led to us forming our new identify and becoming a stand alone company. In 2016 we became a stand-alone company and got listed one the Amsterdam Stock Exchange under the ticker “LIGHT”. In 2018 we announced on the. In 2018 we announced our new name as Signify.
What does it mean for us:
These changes meant 3 things for us:
1. We had to re-look at our leadership bench in the context of stand alone organization : Decide where to “build” vs “buy”
2. Due to the industry shift we had to look at new capabilities in the space of LED, Electronics, Systems and Services, Connected lighting and invest differently in R&D, sales, marketing and supply chain.
3. Redefine our Employer Value Proposition and build our new employer brand for both external and internal talents.
Actions / Initiatives undertaken over last 5 years to redefine our talent agenda:
1. Redefine our EVP linked to our new identity
2. Focus on leadership development for top 500 leaders in the organization: launching our new leadership development portfolio EDGE aimed at leaders across different levels
3. Providing more internal career options to our talents – more than 70% leadership appointments are from within linked to our philosophy of being a talent builder
4. Launch and strengthen our Fit For Future competency development programs targeted at critical jobs across the organization covering more than 4000 people
5. Launching a new digital learning platform to offer more customized and on demand learning solutions to our employees covering more than 12000 people
6. Using technology (Workday) as our one source of truth for driving talent discussions and analytics
Signify is the world leader in lighting for professionals, consumers and lighting for the Internet of Things. Our energy efficient lighting products, systems and services enable our customers to enjoy a superior quality of light, and make people’s lives safer and more comfortable, and businesses more productive and cities more livable. With 2018 sales of EUR 6.4 billion, approximately 28,000 employees and a presence in over 70 countries, we globally unlock the extraordinary potential of light. For more than 125 years we have pioneered breakthroughs in lighting and been the driving force for many innovations. Our track record in innovation is strong and we invest heavily in R&D to stay at the forefront of technological developments. Signify continues to innovate in LED lighting and is leading the industry’s expansion to lighting systems in both the professional and consumer markets. Our position as the industry leader in connected lighting, makes Signify the lighting company for the Internet of Things (IoT).